Ladies, we all have been there at one time or another. We go to bed feeling alright and then we wake up feeling like someone has stabbed us in the stomach and filled our intestines and uterus up with air. As the day goes on you remember why your heating pad is your best friend. For those of you looking to take a more holistic approach to your life, you may not really know what to do when your period comes-- especially if you suffer from PCOS, Endometriosis, and/or horrible painful periods.
Well if you are looking to lead a more holistic way of life, here are somethings you can do before and during your period to make your life a little bit easier:
1) Up your dose of Magnesium by 400 Mg. Women lose more magnesium every month because of the cleanse that we call our period. The loss of magnesium can cause painful cramps- adding Magnesium might help you feel better.
2) Drink some green tea or dandelion root tea. This helps with the uncomfortable bloating!
3) Stop using commercial feminine products. A lot of women looking to lead a more holistic and natural life have already given up on tampons. Why? Because tampons actually block most blood clots from escaping the uterus. No one likes passing clots, but to be completely honest- it is the best thing for your uterine lining to shed! If not it can lead to more painful and heavy periods! A lot of commercial feminine products are actually full of chemicals and xeno-estrogens (false estrogens) that are being absorbed into a woman's body at her most sensitive of areas.. and we wonder why so many women have hormonal issues!
4) Try to get some good rest before your period comes-- No ALL NIGHTERS!
5) Work out... .yep this is what this post is about...
Working out can be one of the last things you are thinking about during your period-- especially if you are bloated, in pain, and feeling exhausted.
Here are 7 Reasons why working out during your period is more benefical for you than laying in your bed all day!
1) Exercise releases endorphins. WE ALL KNOW THAT! But sometimes we have to be reminded. Exercise releases endorphins that will help lift your mood if you are feeling moody and also help ease the pain. Also your hormones will balance themselves a lot more if you are up and moving about!
2) Believe it or not.. cardio actually helps the uterine lining to shed a little bit quicker. Notice after working out you probably will pass a few more clots than before (if you pass clots often.. once you have been living chemical free, xeno-estrogen free, etc your periods will become lighter and easier to handle!).
3) Vigorous exercise will bring oxygen to needed areas in the body. It is an old saying that Pain is the absence of oxygen in the body.
4) Doing yoga can relieve the worst of your cramps! By improving the blood flow throughout your entire body which is helpful in relieving pain!
5) Light to moderate exercise relieves pelvic congestion as well!
6) Exercise, even a moderate walk or jog has always helped my bloating go down in the past! It just might work for you as well!
Finally-- learn to value your period. I know it sounds crazy, but look at it this way... Your body is naturally cleansing itself! Naturopaths say that this is why women live longer than men- we have a natural monthly cleansing that happens for us!
Now get up and go do something! You will thank yourself later! ...hey it's worth a shot right??
Until Next Time
Who am I?
My name is Jes! I am the earth loving, natural parenting, Jesus loving weirdo your mama might have warned you about! I am the owner of an organic, chemical free skin care product line, called HBC Organics.