It has been said for years that Chicken Soup is therapeutic and good for the soul. I always knew this in the back of my head but it wasn't until I started studying nutrition that I really understood why!
I came up with a recipe that is extremely amazing and yummy! Even my semi-vegetarian self with eat it (and I do not really like the taste of meat).
Why is this so good for you? This recipe contains homemade bone broth. Bone broth is one of the most nourishing and healing foods on earth. Bone broth can help to heal leaky gut, establish order in the immune system, nourish someone back to health, and much much more!
6 Cups of Chicken Bone Broth (you can find the recipe for this here)
1-2 cups of chicken (or 2 chicken breasts-- I prefer the dark meat from the legs and thighs)
2-3 stalks of organic celery (chopped)
2-3 large carrots (thinly sliced)
1 medium onion (chopped)
3-5 cloves of garlic (minced)
2-3 Tablespoons of grassfed butter
1-2 Tablespoons of unrefined, cold pressed coconut oil
1 cup organic corn
1 cup organic peas
1 Tablespoon parsley
1 Teaspoon oregano
2 Tablespoons coconut flour
1 1/2 Cups of organic gluten free (or grain free) pasta
opt 2 tsp of hot sauce & 2 tsp of worcestershire sauce
1) Slice and dice all of your veggies
2) In a large stock pot, combine butter, coconut oil, onions, and garlic. Sautee for 2-3 minutes of until the onions become translucent
3) Next add the carrots and celery, sautee about 4-5 minutes, Add in the flour and mix it around the veggies really well.
4) Add in the bone broth & hot sauce & worcestershire sauce
5) This part is very important! Keep the temperature at low-med
6) Add in the chicken and herbs
7) Be sure not to let the soup boil, if it boils your chicken will not be tender!
8) Let cook for a while, stirring occasionally. You will notice that the chicken will SLOWLY start to cook thoroughly. You can always take a piece out and cut it to see if it is done.
9) Add in noodles, corn, and peas when the chicken is half done.
10) Let simmer/cook for about 20-30 minutes. Then remove from heat and cover with a lid.
When you are ready to eat this delicious and nourishing soup add some Pink Himalayan Salt and pepper and enjoy!
Ladies, we all have been there at one time or another. We go to bed feeling alright and then we wake up feeling like someone has stabbed us in the stomach and filled our intestines and uterus up with air. As the day goes on you remember why your heating pad is your best friend. For those of you looking to take a more holistic approach to your life, you may not really know what to do when your period comes-- especially if you suffer from PCOS, Endometriosis, and/or horrible painful periods.
Well if you are looking to lead a more holistic way of life, here are somethings you can do before and during your period to make your life a little bit easier:
1) Up your dose of Magnesium by 400 Mg. Women lose more magnesium every month because of the cleanse that we call our period. The loss of magnesium can cause painful cramps- adding Magnesium might help you feel better.
2) Drink some green tea or dandelion root tea. This helps with the uncomfortable bloating!
3) Stop using commercial feminine products. A lot of women looking to lead a more holistic and natural life have already given up on tampons. Why? Because tampons actually block most blood clots from escaping the uterus. No one likes passing clots, but to be completely honest- it is the best thing for your uterine lining to shed! If not it can lead to more painful and heavy periods! A lot of commercial feminine products are actually full of chemicals and xeno-estrogens (false estrogens) that are being absorbed into a woman's body at her most sensitive of areas.. and we wonder why so many women have hormonal issues!
4) Try to get some good rest before your period comes-- No ALL NIGHTERS!
5) Work out... .yep this is what this post is about...
Working out can be one of the last things you are thinking about during your period-- especially if you are bloated, in pain, and feeling exhausted.
Here are 7 Reasons why working out during your period is more benefical for you than laying in your bed all day!
1) Exercise releases endorphins. WE ALL KNOW THAT! But sometimes we have to be reminded. Exercise releases endorphins that will help lift your mood if you are feeling moody and also help ease the pain. Also your hormones will balance themselves a lot more if you are up and moving about!
2) Believe it or not.. cardio actually helps the uterine lining to shed a little bit quicker. Notice after working out you probably will pass a few more clots than before (if you pass clots often.. once you have been living chemical free, xeno-estrogen free, etc your periods will become lighter and easier to handle!).
3) Vigorous exercise will bring oxygen to needed areas in the body. It is an old saying that Pain is the absence of oxygen in the body.
4) Doing yoga can relieve the worst of your cramps! By improving the blood flow throughout your entire body which is helpful in relieving pain!
5) Light to moderate exercise relieves pelvic congestion as well!
6) Exercise, even a moderate walk or jog has always helped my bloating go down in the past! It just might work for you as well!
Finally-- learn to value your period. I know it sounds crazy, but look at it this way... Your body is naturally cleansing itself! Naturopaths say that this is why women live longer than men- we have a natural monthly cleansing that happens for us!
Now get up and go do something! You will thank yourself later! ...hey it's worth a shot right??
Until Next Time
Good morning my beautiful followers! As usual I like to inform everyone when I have a new product on the market!
The new product is pure & organic cinnamon vanilla extract ! And boy oh boy is it marvelous! Not only the scent but the flavor is amazing! We've tried it in smoothies, healthy no bakes, coconut milk ice cream, and many more things! You can even put some of this in a diffuser and have a wonderful smelling house & room!
Try some today!
Get yourself qualified for the giveaway on Facebook! Like & comment on the picture and you can enter to win a free bottle!
You can buy it below!
Raw honey is amazing! Not only is it a tasty sweetener but it is a powerful in the "medicinal" world as well!
When I have clients with hives, cystic acne, and small boils I suggest that they put a thin layer of raw honey over the area and let it soak in a couple times a day. Many clients have come back saying not only did it help the pain but the swelling went down as well!
I am a huge fan of just taking a spoonful of raw honey when I am having a sugar craving or want a sweet fix! I don't feel bad about it either because raw honey is amazing for the immune system!
If you are prone to seasonal allergies, you should be taking local (within 50-100 miles) of raw honey as a supplement a few times per day!
You can mix raw honey with a fresh, organic lemon and it makes a delightful treat! When the honey and lemon are together, they can help to convert stored body fat into energy! This is great for people trying to lose weight or people who work out often!
Honey never goes bad either! It will only crystallize!
If you are hitting that 3:00 energy slide, take a tablespoon of raw honey for a natural energy boost!
Raw honey also helps with sore throats, ear infections, mouth sores, upper respiratory infections, strep throat, and colds. When I start coming down with any type of illness, I start taking spoonfuls of raw honey every hour. Raw honey contains bee pollen which is very beneficial when it comes to keeping that body of yours healthy. Bee Pollen contains beneficial fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and has anti-viral properties! No wonder it is known as the most complete superfood!
If your body is considered "Acidic" or you are having symptoms of your pH being too acidic, raw honey could be your answer! Raw honey is an alkaline producing food.
Raw honey has also been known to aid in sleeping, soothing burns, and being an antibacterial substance!
So don't you want to go buy yourself a big jar of raw honey from a local orchard, beekeeper, or health food store?
I might go take a spoonful right now... toodles!
I have recently been getting comments and hearing people say things like
"I would do healthy things... If only it were easier"
I know that at times living a clean & healthy life can be more work than people make it out to be. Sometimes it is expensive, but do you know how expensive it is to be sick? For a simple doctor's visit you could pay $10-$50 depending upon your insurance & copay! Hospital bills are even more expensive!
So I have complied a list of easy things to do that can improve your overall health!
#1- go outside & sit in the sun. Sitting in the sun helps build up your Vitamin D supply !
#2- start oil pulling in the morning. Okay so this sounds kind of gross but I promise it's not! Get some quality coconut oil, take a spoonful and chomp on it for a few seconds and it will turn liquid. Hop in the shower while you are swishing this oil all around your mouth. When you get out of the shower spit it out! Oil pulling has tons of benefits some that include teeth whitening, cavity prevention, soft lips, relief from cystic acne, and it's cleansing to the whole body. Did you know your teeth are connected to a nerve that is connected to each organ in the body?!
#3- bake your own bread. Sometimes this sounds difficult. I aquired a bread maker & I have seen many at garage sales & second hand shops that were very inexpensive!
#4- add a smoothie a day or every other day. Adding raw fruits and vegetables to your diet is essential for gut health! Keep your bowels moving with healthy fiber!
#5- for the love of God--- ditch the margarine and start using real butter!
#6- plant a small garden. It doesn't have to be big. An herb plant in your kitchen window is even good!
#7- pick up a set of dumbells- or a weighted object that is similar in size. Do some arm exercises. 5-10 minutes can really help you tone up your arms and upper back! (Pssssst... I know this one from experience)
#8- turn the tv off at night. Easier said than done? Try reading for a half hour before bedtime instead. The bright lights from a cell phone, television, or computer can have a negative effect on melatonin production. (Melatonin is the hormone that helps you sleep!)
#9- go for a walk. Even a 5 minute walk to clear your head. You won't believe how therapudic it is!
#10- drink some more water! I struggle with getting the proper amount of water daily myself. I decided to start adding fruits and herbs to my water to help flavor it- this helps me drink more! My favorite is cucumber, lemon, and mint leaves!
#11- go get a massage. If money is an issue, find a massage school that offers them for discounted prices! The power of touch is healing!
#12- if you are having a rough day. Take a minute and have yourself a pity party. Go ahead and cry if you need to. Allot yourself 5 minutes a day to really FEEL your feelings. Then move on. Holding negative feelings inside can lead to more problems later in life!
#13- give a hug or let someone hug you. Hold the hug longer ! Hugging can relieve depression & release endorphins
There you have it 13 easy ways to do something healthy :)
Until next time - remember what you do today has a huge impact on your health a year from now... Will you choose to do something healthy?
Who am I?
My name is Jes! I am the earth loving, natural parenting, Jesus loving weirdo your mama might have warned you about! I am the owner of an organic, chemical free skin care product line, called HBC Organics.