Check out the GIVEAWAY at the bottom!
If you follow my facebook page, you will notice I talk about my extracts -- All the time... Well to be honest, I use them daily! There are so many different things you can do with extracts! The holidays will soon be upon us- with Autumn comes Thanksgiving & Winter comes Christmas & New Years! That calls for a lot of gift giving, party hosting, and COOKING!
My extracts are much different than the kind you buy at the local grocery store. First off- they are gluten free! Perfection huh? They are also very strong. They are infused for at least 2-3 moons, according to the lunar schedule! The best way to get strong extracts. Plus they are cost effective!
Below you will see a list of things you can use extracts for! Also check out the giveaway below for a chance to win a FREE extract!
- Vanilla (find it here)
- Cinnamon (find ithere)
- Cinnamon-Vanilla (find it here)
- Vanilla-Espresso (find it here)
The extracts I will have available for the holiday season will be:
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Chai Spice
With that being said, here is a list of things I use extracts for all the time! Some of them might surprise you!
- Overnight oats (vanilla-espresso is my favorite for this one)
- I make my own nut-butters, you can add these to them for lots of extra flavor!
- Yogurt (I always buy plain greek yogurt. I do this because I would much rather add my own sweetener, honey or maple syrup, and flavoring. My favorite is Cinnamon or I add orange & vanilla together)
- Protein Shakes (A lot of people buy the simple vanilla protein powder, whether it is whey or plant sourced. If you add espresso to it, WOW! It is a great way to add flavor to your morning shake!)
- Homemade Larabars (I make these for my husband to take to work with him. I usually use the cinnamon-vanilla)
- Homemade Whipped Cream (Making whipped cream is very simple. Get some organic heavy whipping cream and pour it into a mixer (I have a standing one) and begin to beat it on medium high. It will begin to thicken. You can add your favorite sweetener, I use maple syrup. Then add 1 tsp - 1 tbsp of your favorite extract. I usually used vanilla but I used vanilla-espresso recently and it was amazing!)
- Baking (cookies, cakes, brownies always call for vanilla extract, but you could add a different extract like clove, nutmeg, cinnamon-vanilla for a nice change of flavor! You will never regret it.)
- Add some to your favorite coffee or tea. (This would call for 1/4 of a tsp usually, but it adds some really great flavor to your morning coffee or tea)
- Cooking (add to waffles, pancakes, etc. My favorite for this is cinnamon or cinnamon-vanilla)
- Diffuse (if you have a diffuser, you can add a few drops of extract to diffuse throughout your home or office)
- Add to cleaning products (if you make your own cleaning products, like I do, you can add either essential oil or extracts, I personally add cinnamon and orange together)
- If you are hosting a party, you can put some extract in a ceramic dish and put it in the oven & your whole home will smell amazing! I like to use cinnamon-vanilla & clove for this.
- You can boil water & extract as well and have a similar outcome.
- I make my own ice cream, I either make it just like the whipped cream, or I make it with frozen bananas. I like to add an extract to get good flavor.
- I use all of them for my organic beauty product line to scent the products.
- I add vanilla to my sweet potatoes or squash when I cook it!
- If you make your own kombucha soda or water kefir, adding vanilla or any other extract is extremely helpful!
- Freshen up the fridge or freezer! Take some baking soda and add about a tsp of extract! I like clove in the fridge.
- Mix it with some water and make a pet spray! (We all know how dogs smell like well... a wet dog sometimes. Simply take some water and some extract and put it in a spray bottle and spray your doggy down! )
- Does your microwave smell funny? Take a bowl or coffee mug and put about a tsp to a table spoon in it and microwave it for about 45 - 60 seconds!
- If you are painting a room (mommy to be here) add 1 tsp of extract to to paint and mix it well. It will neutralize the paint smell!
- Add some cinnamon extract to some raw honey if you have a sore throat! It will help you get better faster!
- If you want to make "chocolate covered" anything-- you can add 1/4 tsp of your favorite extract to the chocolate (vanilla espresso is amazing) and it will add some nice flavor!
- Last but not least-- if you want to freshen up your clothes or your car take some extract and mix it with some water & put it in a spray bottle and spray away! Just like fabreeze!
Don't forget to check out & qualify for our
GIVEAWAY at the bottom!
About a week ago I got some leeks in my CSA box (local farm box). I honestly didn't know what to do with them so I started looking to see what other people did with them. I came across a lot from tarts, to broths, to soups, to use as pizza toppings, salads and more! I ran across some that took the leeks and potatoes together. So I decided to make my own recipe since I didn't really have anything most of them called for. So check it out below and let me know what you think!
All of the ingredients in this are organic and most of them are local! The veggies are either from my CSA box or from my own garden & I will specify below. The broth came from a turkey neck we bought at a local butcher as well!
3-4 Leeks chopped (ours came from the CSA)
1 large or 3 small bell peppers (ours were actually purple & came from the CSA)
1 bulb of garlic chopped (my own garden)
4-6 medium potatoes (my own garden)
2-3 jalapenos sliced & diced (from my own garden)
3 Tbsp Flour (local amish flour)
3-4 Tbsp Butter (local amish butter)
1 Quart of Broth of Choice (turkey, chicken, veggie, etc- ours was homemade with turkey)
1/2 Cup Milk (or milk substitute like almond or coconut- I used organic)
1/2 Cup Sour Cream (we got ours at Whole Foods in the organic section)
1 1/2 Cup Water
Salt & Pepper
- Chop up all the veggies
- In a stock pot, combine butter, leeks, peppers, garlic, & jalapenos. Sautee them until the leeks are somewhat translucent. It took mine about 5-7 minutes
- Add in sliced potatoes, broth, and water and bring to a boil.
- Let boil for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Bring heat down to low
- Now you can mix the flour in with the milk to make it more smooth, or you can pour in the milk and then the flour- you will just have to mix it well.
- Add in sour cream and mix in well.
- Let simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and put a lid over the top and let stand about 10 minutes before serving!
This is me at 11 weeks pregnant!
Call this mama crazy, BUT I am going to be doing a HUGE giveaway! This one is different than the ones I have done before !!
For those of you who have watched my facebook page, instagram, and even this website, you will see that I am a big fan of the Nutribullet! Just like one of my teachers from Nutrition school-- David Wolfe!
Smoothies are a great way to get veggies & fruits into your daily diet! This is a great alternative to juicing because you are getting the whole food. The nutribullet is SO powerful that it even grinds down flaxseed, chia seeds and more! Right now in my pregnancy, I am still pretty sick with "morning" sickness, but smoothies help! Thank God for the nutribullet!!
I personally use my nutribullet for everything!! I save my egg shells and grind them into a powder before sprinkling them in my garden. I toss in fresh tomatoes, jalapenos, green peppers, onions, fresh garlic, and a little bit of vinegar for fresh salsa! The options are endless with the nutribullet! I even have made homemade nutella & peanut butter in my nutribullet!!
Now is your chance to win a nutribullet!
Simply do the following to be eligible:
-Spend $25 on healthy by choice products through etsy- simple put in your notes with your order that you are qualifying for the nutribullet giveaway!
-Like us on facebook
-Follow us on twitter
-Follow us on pinterest
-Leave a comment here on the blog
-Answer the poll!!
Who am I?
My name is Jessica Kellaway! I am the earth loving, natural parenting, Jesus loving weirdo your mama might have warned you about!
I'm 28 and live in Mid-Michigan with my husband, 2 children, 2 dogs, and 2 cats.
I am also the owner of an organic, chemical free skin care product line, called HBC Organics.
4 Minute Workout
7 Day Detoxing Diet