Don't forget to check out & qualify for our
About a week ago I got some leeks in my CSA box (local farm box). I honestly didn't know what to do with them so I started looking to see what other people did with them. I came across a lot from tarts, to broths, to soups, to use as pizza toppings, salads and more! I ran across some that took the leeks and potatoes together. So I decided to make my own recipe since I didn't really have anything most of them called for. So check it out below and let me know what you think!
All of the ingredients in this are organic and most of them are local! The veggies are either from my CSA box or from my own garden & I will specify below. The broth came from a turkey neck we bought at a local butcher as well!
3-4 Leeks chopped (ours came from the CSA)
1 large or 3 small bell peppers (ours were actually purple & came from the CSA)
1 bulb of garlic chopped (my own garden)
4-6 medium potatoes (my own garden)
2-3 jalapenos sliced & diced (from my own garden)
3 Tbsp Flour (local amish flour)
3-4 Tbsp Butter (local amish butter)
1 Quart of Broth of Choice (turkey, chicken, veggie, etc- ours was homemade with turkey)
1/2 Cup Milk (or milk substitute like almond or coconut- I used organic)
1/2 Cup Sour Cream (we got ours at Whole Foods in the organic section)
1 1/2 Cup Water
Salt & Pepper
- Chop up all the veggies
- In a stock pot, combine butter, leeks, peppers, garlic, & jalapenos. Sautee them until the leeks are somewhat translucent. It took mine about 5-7 minutes
- Add in sliced potatoes, broth, and water and bring to a boil.
- Let boil for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Bring heat down to low
- Now you can mix the flour in with the milk to make it more smooth, or you can pour in the milk and then the flour- you will just have to mix it well.
- Add in sour cream and mix in well.
- Let simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and put a lid over the top and let stand about 10 minutes before serving!
Who am I?
My name is Jessica Kellaway! I am the earth loving, natural parenting, Jesus loving weirdo your mama might have warned you about!
I'm 28 and live in Norfolk, Virginia with my husband, 2 children, 2 dogs, and 2 cats.
I am also the owner of an organic, chemical free skin care product line, called HBC Organics.